- Submit exemption applications to the minister;
- Submit fire reports to the minister;
- Provide extension/consultation services to members.
DISPATCH, COORDINATION AND RESOURCE ALLOCATION
- The dispatch and coordination of aerial and ground teams and resources is conducted in partnership with Working on Fire. We ensure professional coordination of members during fire-suppression operations;
- Maps and other resources (e.g. transport, fire beaters etc.) are provided to members.
STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES (SOP) FOR PRESCRIBED BURNING OPERATIONS
- To comply with the Act, members must obtain a burning permit for all prescribed burning operations. Most fire-related court cases and claims in South Africa are due to controlled burns that got out of control.
- The GCFPA has developed standard operational procedures for members to minimize their risk when conducting prescribed burns.
- Provide specialized equipment for fire suppression and Integrated Fire Management activities (mobile and portable radios, repeater etc.).
FUEL-LOAD REDUCTION AND SAFEGUARDING INFRASTRUCTURE
- The GCFPA has developed, tried and tested minimum guidelines to help prevent damage to members’ assets;
- Fuel-reduction activities include the establishment of fire breaks, engaging and supporting prescribed burns and clearing alien invasive plants.
- We initiate and co-ordinate fire related training opportunities for our personnel, members, and members’ staff.
- Integrated Fire Management planning and the implementation thereof by knowledgeable, experienced personnel;
- Continuous recruitment of new members.
AWARENESS AND MARKETING
- Distribution of general information about the GCFPA;
- Algemene Inligting (follow link);
- General Information (follow link);
- Media coverage about fire awareness and safety and to raise awareness for the work of the GCFPA;
- Awareness campaigns, including distribution of awareness material and community and school visits;
- Distribution of the Fire Danger Index.
- GIS-based mapping and data management of resources and members’ information;
- Contact and property details are made available to key partners and emergency services (e.g. fire brigade services).
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AND CAPACITY BUILDING
- The management of three Working on Fire bases ensures the employment of over 70 persons in the region, and is therefore an effective agent to roll out the Expanded Public Works Programme.